When doing our research and coming up with recipes, we wanted to find ingredients that were both healthy and nutritious - which is how we decided to add chia seeds to our recipes.
SO WHY ARE CHIA SEEDS GOOD FOR OUR DOGS?
Did you know that chia seeds are highly nutritious, gluten-free and high in calories?
OMEGA FATTY ACIDS
Chia has 3 times the amount of Omega-3 fatty acids as salmon! Omega-3 is important to balance out Omega-6 fatty acids and promotes healthy:
• Immune system
• Skin and coat
• Joint health; reduces inflammation
• Brain development and maintenance
• Eye development and maintenance
• Puppy growth
• Supports heart health, lowers blood pressure, and cholesterol
Two tablespoons of chia seeds provide a 3 to 1 ratio of Omega-3 to Omega-6
Increasing dietary fiber can help when bowel movements are a concern.
Fiber will alleviate constipation, generate regularity and help in weight loss. Dogs that suffer from impacted anal sacs will also benefit from more fiber.
Chia seeds provide 34 grams of fiber per 100 grams of seeds.
Chia can absorb 10 times its own weight in water and generates a gel which can be consumed. The gel slows the conversion of carbohydrates into sugars.
Stable blood sugar levels contribute to naturally high levels of energy. By doing so, chia supports normal insulin function and sensitivity, blood sugar regulation and glucose tolerance. The added benefit of slowing down digestion enables full absorption of nutrients while dogs feel satiated longer.
- Supports bone health
- Great source of antioxidants to help fight cancer
- Reduces inflammation which helps with joint and arthritis pain
- Helps to regulate blood sugar by slowing the conversion of carbs to sugars
- Supports a healthy metabolism
- Improves brain functions
- Supports a healthy thyroid
- Supports stronger bones; combined with manganese (above) these nutrients support both bone strength and density
- Promotes great dental health
- Fights the growth of cancer
- Supports healthy digestive and healthier poops
- Supports a healthy weight
- Helps to body better absorb nutrients
- Provides nourishment for the healthy bacteria in the gut
- Absorbs water and expands, which makes dogs feel fuller longer
So many reasons to include chia seeds in your dog's diet!